- Primary Sjögren’s (dry eyes and mouths only)
- Secondary Sjögren’s (associated with other immune disorders)
- 710.2 Sicca syndrome
- PT diagnoses/treatment diagnoses that may be associated with immune disorders affecting movement
- 315.4 Developmental coordination disorder
- 718.07 Articular cartilage disorder, ankle and foot
- 718.03 Articular cartilage disorder, forearm
- 718.04 Articular cartilage disorder, hand
- 718.45 Contracture of joint, pelvic region and thigh
- 719.39 Palindromic rheumatism involving multiple sites
- 719.4 Pain in joint
- 728.2 Muscular wasting and disuse atrophy, not elsewhere classified
- 729.9 Other and unspecified disorders of soft tissue
- 729.1 Myalgia and myositis, unspecified
- 729.9 Other disorders of soft tissue
- 736.9 Acquired deformity of limb site unspecified
- 780.7 Malaise and fatigue
- 781.2 Abnormality of gait
- 782.3 Edema
- 786.0 Dyspnea and respiratory abnormalities
- 786.05 Shortness of breath
- 728.89 Other disorders of muscle, ligament, and fascia
- M35.00 Sicca syndrome, unspecified
- M35.01 Sicca syndrome with keratoconjunctivitis
- Condition in which healthy tissue is mistaken by the body as foreign substances
- Affects the exocrine glands
- Limits production of body secretions
- Multiple body system involvement
- Onset often vague with misdiagnosis
- Must be made by a physician and confirmed by medical diagnostic testing
- Presence of markers
- Dry eyes and mouth
- Elimination of other diseases
- Specific diagnosis may take time and require intensive medical diagnostic testing
- May result in secondary problems such as
- Aerobic capacity and muscle endurance impairment
- Weakness/impaired muscle performance
- Musculoskeletal problems
- Neuromuscular problems
- Weight loss, indicating the need for PT intervention depending on severity
- Because Sjögren’s and other immune disorders frequently refer pain or are causative of pain in various body areas, individuals may get referred to PT inappropriately or appropriately; inappropriate referral may be such as when referred to the lower back or upper back or chest
- History of heartburn or indigestion may be indicative of GI or cardiac problems or directly related to Sjögren’s
- Females more likely than males
- Adults > 40 years of age
- Can affect individuals of all ages, but is rare in children
- Some indication of genetic familial tendency
- More likely if there is a systemic rheumatic disease such as systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) or rheumatoid arthritis
- Estimated 1 to 4 million in U.S.
- The signs and symptoms indicated below may be characteristic of multiple immune systemic disorders, often confounding medical diagnosis
- It is not the purview of a PT to medically diagnose an immune pathology but rather to recognize the possibility in the differential diagnosis process, especially when the findings are not consistent ...
Log In to View More
If you don't have a subscription, please view our individual subscription options below to find out how you can gain access to this content.
Want remote access to your institution's subscription?
Sign in to your MyAccess profile while you are actively authenticated on this site via your institution (you will be able to verify this by looking at the top right corner of the screen - if you see your institution's name, you are authenticated). Once logged in to your MyAccess profile, you will be able to access your institution's subscription for 90 days from any location. You must be logged in while authenticated at least once every 90 days to maintain this remote access.
If your institution subscribes to this resource, and you don't have a MyAccess profile, please contact your library's reference desk for information on how to gain access to this resource from off-campus.
AccessPhysiotherapy Full Site: One-Year Subscription
Connect to the full suite of AccessPhysiotherapy content and resources including interactive NPTE review, more than 500 videos, Anatomy & Physiology Revealed, 20+ leading textbooks, and more.
Pay Per View: Timed Access to all of AccessPhysiotherapy
24 Hour Subscription $34.95
48 Hour Subscription $54.95
Pop-up div Successfully Displayed
This div only appears when the trigger link is hovered over.
Otherwise it is hidden from view.